Quick New Years 2009 in Arctic Bay Overview

Thursday, January 1, 2009
New Years in the North is a pretty amazing sight. Starting at 5:00 pm Dec. 31 and running until the wee hours of the morning on Jan. 1 there were activities all around.

At 5:00pm there was a feast in the gym followed by some games and the New Years Eve church service.

At 12:00 am everyone (that has a skidoo, quad, truck....) goes out onto the ice out towards the point to organize themselves into a long parade of vehicles that snake across the ice in huge 'S' patterns. Then there is the parade around town where everyone who was on the ice rides around town.

After the parade, games and dances continue at the gym. And this was just amazing to watch. I do have video footage, and I'll get to editing it soon and get it posted up for everyone to see some traditional dancing up here in the North.


So, how am I spending my New Years Day? I'm currently curled up on the couch waiting to be put out of my misery - as some one either a) sent me the flu or b) gave me the flu. At least I'm getting it out of the way before school starts up again .... although, a couple of days off with the flu wouldn't be a bad thing either :-P

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I am so sorry to hear that your break has been invaded by a bug! It seems like that happens to teachers fairly often...getting sick on weekends and holidays. It's probably because there isn't time to notice being sick while in the "heat of battle." Take care of yourself and try to soak up as much rest as you can before you have to go back to school. And happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm doing a school project on Artic Bay and i was wonderind if you could give me some imfromation and some Inuit names.
Please write back
Thanks
XxX