So much for enjoying the great outdoors

Saturday, March 14, 2009


As it is a beautiful, sunshiny day out I figured I would go for a hike out to the point. Geared up, camera and snack in tow, I headed out down the hill to the ice. Hiking out, listening to tunes and soaking in the much needed sunrays, I heard a voice calling me from the last house of town "Kendra!!!!!". I stopped, looked waved and listened "You might not want to hike out to the point today! There's a polar bear out there!". Bummer I thought, as I hiked up off the ice to get more info. Apparently, a polar bear was sighted hanging out around the point early this morning and it's still there hunting for seals and enjoying the sun. Local hunters are keeping an eye on it while they try to get ahold of our wildlife control officer (whose also currently out hunting) to find out what to do. So far, the bear hasn't shown too much interest in coming into town for a visit ... but I don't think I'm quite ready to out run a hungry polar bear ... at least not today.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm glad I didn't head out to the iceberg earlier this afternoon as I had originally planned.