Ramblings of an Educator

Tuesday, November 18, 2008
As many of you can see, I haven't been posting much as of late ... partly because I don't really have that much to report on life up here in AB that Darcy or Clare hasn't reported on yet ... and partly because I've been working my butt off at home at night reading novels trying to decide what one I am going to be doing next term in my Eng 10-2 course.

I've managed to narrow it down to a couple of contenders: Whiteout by James Houston, Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowatt, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Crabbe by William Bell and Frost by Nicole Luiken. Now the challenge is to choose one of them and start creating the novel study (as I really don't want to be trying to make one up at the last minute).... and there isn't much to be found on the net for some of these books too. But I guess time will only tell... luckily I do have some time to decide what novel to do as I'm not planning to start it up until February.

Other than that, it's been pretty normal up here. The weather is cold, I still have heat as my furnace is running.... yet some how I am still being frozen in and out of my house on a daily basis ... with any luck I will have a new door this week some time ... cross your fingers everyone!

7 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

blah blah blah

Come on! Where is the exciting stuff like you had to chew through your door to escape being frozen inside

or

running for your life from ravens because you were carrying a garbage bag

or

you slip on the ice and a passing skidoo catches the end of your snowpants and pull them and your pants off leaving everyone it town laughing at you and your oh so sexy northern granny panties

hehehe Perhaps I should join a creative writing class....

Don't worry. Life is fairly boring over her too!

Kennie said...

Haha - well then, looks like I got to take some creative privileges from here on in eh?

Anonymous said...

Hey don't laugh! All those things have happened to me at one point.....minus the Granny pants of course.

:)

Jackie S. Quire said...

My vote? Hitchhikers guide.
What a freaking great book, and I would have bragged forever about any 10th grade teacher that made it cirruculum.
You rock!

Kennie said...

That's the book that I am leaning towards .. but I also need to keep my students in mind to and to what they ... ahem... can appreciate as literature. Either way they are going to be watching the movie at least in class as it is part of the curriculum (well... showing a feature film is).

Anonymous said...

The url for Darcy's site should be corrected. The current one gets hijacked to someone with people not at all dressed for the Arctic (not at all dressed for anywhere, full stop).

Thanks for the links to new Tundra Teachers. If you know of more, let me know at http://cerebraloddjobs.edublogs.org/2007/11/10/tundra-teachers/

Kennie said...

Whoa - thanks Pam! wonder how I managed to do that. We like being dressed up here in the North. Bad internet - not doing what kennie wants you to do.